I don't know how so much time manages to slip by between my posts here. Seriously. I guess I'm just so busy living life so I have things to post about, I don't actually have time to post. In fact, right now I should be taking a shower, as S. is taking a nap (usually brief), but instead I'm using this time to update my blog. How's that for prioritizing?
I have lots of news to share with you. First, L. took and passed his oral exams on Monday of last week. Oral exams are the third to last step in the PhD process. They are a two hour oral interview with four professors about the knowledge the candidate has attained during his/her graduate coursework. They are not constructed to make the candidate feel confident and knowledgeable. Rather, L. said he would be scarred by the experience for a long time to come. I am, however, deeply relieved to have them over (yay for less stress in our house!!) and so proud of L. He has worked incredibly hard over the last three years, not only on his coursework, but on helping around the house and with our baby. He has already begun to work on research and reading for his dissertation topic. I think we will both be very very happy when he his finally finished with the whole program. Just two (or so) more years to go!!
S. is such a sweet boy. I can't call him a baby anymore, because he really isn't. He's talking up a storm, saying words and phrases. He says "bad dog," "good dog," "I love you," "hi, Dada (Mama)," and several others. He can name some colors and wants to do everything himself. He has spent about twenty minutes over the past couple of days with a pair of nail clippers trying his darnedest to clip his toenails. He will only eat what he himself puts into his mouth. He helps put lotion on his legs after his bath, and tried to put his pants on this morning. He has four teeth now--two top and two bottom--and looks like a little hillbilly (no offense meant to any hillbilly readers out there, I think he looks very cute so that was actually a compliment to you and yours). On the negative side, he has a killer diaper rash right now that I cannot seem to get rid of. He has had diarrhea off and on for that last few days (a reaction to his vaccination shots) and his butt is so raw and red in this one place. I cannot get it to heal. He'll be taking a trip to the doctor on Monday to get it looked at.
As for me, I'm chugging through the school year. It's been a crazy one. We've had a record number of fights (one in a classroom that made it onto YouTube), an alleged rape (was retracted quickly), a kid who brought a gun to school, the rocks on senior hill shaped into a penis, graffiti on the outside of the building, and a bomb threat. Needless to say, I am looking for a job in a different district--ones that pay more and have a little less active student body. Thankfully, though, our old principal is back in the building and that will make the rest of the year much easier.
I still have way too much on my plate. I was thinking about going to back to school again, but have decided not to right now. I have six thousand sewing/designing/knitting projects going simultaneously right now, including a very belated Christmas gift, some baby gifts for a very special, soon-to-be-born baby girl, a few birthday gifts, a wedding dress for one of my favorite sisters, and some things for my house and family. I'm starting a sewing blog to chronicle some of these projects, including the dress, if my sister consents. A link to my new sewing blog is posted on the sidebar of this blog if you want to check it out. (Don't expect it to be updated any more frequently than this blog.)
On the negative side, I recently went to the doctor for some back pain that I thought was related to a pinched nerve. They took some x-rays of my spine, since this was the second incident of pain in as many weeks, and found that I have degenerative disk disease or, in layman's terms, arthritis in my sacral L5 vertebrae (low back). It's not too bad right now, and if I exercise everyday and tighten my stomach muscles every time I move (literally), then I should be able to stop it from getting too much worse. I'm doing physical therapy several times a week, which helps. Between this and my sick liver, I feel betrayed by my body. I guess it's just trying to tell me that I need to take better care of it. That's what I'm going to try to do.
No comments:
Post a Comment