Friday, August 1, 2008

Career Counseling

It seems to me that by the age of 30 you should really have your career goals kind of figured out. Unfortunately for me, that's not the case. I am a teacher, which I enjoy for several reasons. I really like the kids, I have some control over what I do every day, and I like the autonomy. I also like the eight weeks we get off during the summer (yes, you read that correctly--teachers do not get three months off. If we're lucky, we get two months off), especially now that I have a little one. On the flip side, there are also several things I really don't like about teaching. I hate getting up at 5 am to get to work by 7 am. I hate the pay and the lousy benefits. Call me greedy if you like, but I really would be happier if I didn't have to worry constantly about how we are going to pay our bills every month and how I am going to be able to afford the health insurance that costs a quarter of my salary. I also really hate the district shenanigans. I have known since my first year of teaching that I wouldn't be doing this forever, at least not on the k-12 level.

Now, however, I am faced with the same dilemma I was faced with before I settled on teaching as a job, er, career: What should I do when I grow up? Some people have a dearth of possible careers. I actually suffer from a plethora of possible careers and I don't know which is the most viable. Many of my career options require more schooling, which isn't a problem for me except that I have to wait for L. to finish his PhD program before I can start. All require hard work, which also isn't a problem for me. Some of them scare me more than others, which should tell me something--I'm just not sure what.

So, in honor of my struggle to choose a new career path, please answer my career poll to the left. Let me tell you what's important to me in a job in order to help you vote. Ready? Okay: autonomy, creativity, decent salary (at least $45,000 to start), challenge, sense of accomplishment, plenty of vacation time. Thanks for your input and help.*

*The posting of the poll in no way implies or suggests that I will actually use the results to make any current or future career choices. Come on, guys. I'm not that desperate.

No comments: