This weekend, we went in to get family photos and S's two-year-old birthday pictures taken. Picture day with an almost two-er is not the most delightful event. He was really pretty good, and we got some cute pictures, but that's almost entirely due to his photogenic-ness and L's super-smart idea to bring along a toy truck. Those of you getting holiday cards this year will see both the truck and S's favorite toy, a plastic giraffe, in one of the pictures you receive.
In other giraffe news, tonight at bedtime, S. and I were looking at a zoo animal book, especially focusing on the giraffe (why would we look at anything else? I mean, really). S. pointed to the giraffe and said, "'Jaffe have spots," then he patted both my cheeks and said, "Mama have spots." Why, yes, Son, we both do have spots. There is certainly no arguing that point. I wonder if that's why he likes giraffes so much--they remind him of his mother?
He also asked L. in the car this week, "Where is Mama?" This morning, when he first woke up, he was calling, "Mama, where are you? Mama, where are you?" So, so cute. I cannot believe how much and how well he is talking. I can't believe that he is using the proper forms of is and are--that he is using them at all. Some of my students don't know how to use them properly!
S. also just started coloring on things other than paper this weekend, including some fabric I had out for a project (good thing I'm finished with those wedding gowns--just thinking about what could have happened makes my blood run cold), the wall, and my recipe box.
We're gearing up here for a trip from Grandpa for Thanksgiving. We are all so excited to see him again and spend some relaxed time with great family. I'm actually cleaning my house! Don't laugh, it does happen occasionally.
I'm also looking forward to only working two days this week. My students are currently working on persuasive essays. They sent me their (supposed) thesis statements over the weekend. Some of them were too awful. I can't post them here, just in case some poor kid stumbles across this blog, but ask me about them sometime. Some are really worth sharing--though they have some excuse for the terribleness, they are only freshman and no one has taught them how to write a thesis statement before. Still, it's been a painful weekend for me, and it doesn't bode well for the coming essays.
No comments:
Post a Comment