Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Why I love/hate Project Runway

Season 5 of Project Runway started tonight. I know this because I received an email (unsolicited!) announcing it. I, of course, had to watch the first episode because Project Runway speaks directly to my ego and my insecurities simultaneously. As a dedicated sewer (that's so-er, as in seamstress, not su-er, as in toilet deposits) and someone who considers herself to have a well-honed design sense, I know that I could beat out half of the competitors on Project Runway with my eyes closed. Because I never finished getting my design degree I'm not sure that I could beat the other half.

I love watching the show because I love design and I love thinking about what I would do for the challenges. I hate watching it because it makes me feel nostalgic about my dream to be a fashion designer--a dream that just wasn't feasible in reality. I think that my regret over not finishing my degree is why, until recently, I hadn't sewn anything in the past two years.

I will continue to channel my inner sado-masochist and watch every episode of this new season of fashion "reality."




1 comment:

Marie B. said...

DId you know that every time I watch Project Runway I think of you and know you could, no. SHOULD be on the show. You are so amazing and talented. You were the one friend that I was jealous of.