Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Hello, My name is Hannah and I'm a Fabriholic

First, let me confess that I haven't sewn anything in more than two years. I haven't even looked at my sewing machine other than to get it fixed since we moved to Middle America. There are several reasons for this aberrant sewing dry spell. First and foremost, I have had very little free time. The first year we were here was also my first year teaching and I spent the whole year just one step ahead of where I needed to be. At the end of the school year, L. and I had to find a house in less than a month because our landlord/former friend was being very unreasonable. Right after we moved into our new house, we went on a trip to Greece and Turkey and a week or two after that, school started again. Oh, yeah, I was pregnant, as well, and because of a case of anemia, I pretty much hibernated through the first seven months of my pregnancy. During winter break when I planned on getting a quilt sewn for my coming baby, said baby decided to be born (a month early). Since then, all my energy has been focused on dragging my sleep deprived body through each day. Secondly, I have a problem, really an addiction if I'm being honest, to fabric--looking at it, buying it, owning it, and using it. If I wasn't sewing, then I had no reason to shop for fabric. That worked pretty well for a little while.

But now, now I find that I have some free time on my hands, and the addiction has started to take hold again. I volunteered to make my sister a dress to wear to a wedding she is attending. I thought that I could handle it, that I could just buy the fabric for her dress and that would be it. I thought I was strong enough to resist the other fabric I would see. How wrong I was! I found fabric after fabric that I just had to have. I resisted as best I could and still ended up purchasing enough fabric to make several bags, and (just say it) and that's not the worst part. I-I know that I won't be able to resist buying more. I spent much of yesterday looking at fabric online. I didn't buy anything last night, but I dreamt of the projects I could make out of that cute owl fabric, and the chocolate fabric with the mod flower design, and the blue and white stripe cotton, the quirky frog fabric, the geisha toile, the black and white damask, the cowboy print, the brown tweed, the pink plaid . . . I can't resist . . . must . . . have . . . it . . .

1 comment:

Marie B. said...

Hannah, I now share the same obsession. And a while ago when I was attempting to organize a craft space I thought of you and all your fabric. I went from a fat quarter here and there to now a minimum of 2 yrds even though I am not planning on doing anything with it. I also decided that I am never going to buy a handbag or purse ever again. I love homemade bags more than anything. You should check out Kitty Yoshida. She is my new favorite designer. I just brought back a suitcase full of fabric and projects. I really wish we were closer. I would force you sew with me and teach me how to sew. I am trying to figure out all my japanese patterns.