About 3 1/2 weeks ago, my sweet little son began rolling from his back to his tummy. At first, I was very happy that he had learned a new skill. He has been rolling from his tummy to his back since he was about 2 months old. I was starting to worry that he wasn't ever going to roll the other way. Little did I know how much easier my life was when he could only roll one direction. Now, not only do we have to worry about him rolling off of things, or rolling and rolling when he's hanging out on the floor and bonking his head on the furniture, but I have the crushing worry about SIDS. You see, my baby, who cried like he was being poked with needles whenever I forced him to do tummy time before, now loves to hang out on his tummy so much that he wants to sleep exclusively on his stomach. When I lay him down in his co-sleeper, he immediately rolls onto his stomach and sticks his butt in the air.
As a woman who has been driven just a little bit crazy by motherhood, I am worried (okay, beyond worried, closer to obsessively panicked) that he is going to die of SIDS because he is sleeping on his stomach, which is strictly forbidden by the APA. I have to constantly check on him--feeling his back or beneath his nose to see if he is breathing, sometimes even (oh, who I am kidding, almost always) poking him to see if he moves. In fact, I think it's about time for me to go make sure my son is still breathing. . .
1 comment:
Post a Comment