Saturday, June 28, 2008

Pack Rat


I spent most of today starting to get ready for the trip my sweet baby and I are taking to Utah and Idaho to visit family. It will be the first time that S. is flying. On top of that, I am traveling with him alone. I am feeling just a little crazy right now. I'm not sure that I am going to get everything packed that I will need. I'm afraid that the airline will ask for some ID for my baby that I don't have. My biggest fear is that S. will cry the whole flight. This is a funny fear for me to have because it has very little chance of coming true. My little guy was perfectly good humored for over four hours as I dragged him from store to store today. Yesterday, he spent at least that many hours sitting in his booster seat next to me while I did homework. He didn't complain one time either day. I really don't need to worry about his behavior, but I'm still deathly afraid that he will have an off day on the day we are traveling.
Right now I'm trying to make lists of all the stuff I need to pack for two weeks. There is so much that is necessary when you have a baby. I keep trying to pear down our list, but it's almost impossible. Tomorrow, I actually need to start packing my suitcase. When I traveled before I became a mom, I would almost always pack at the very last minute (3 am the night before an 8 am flight) because I am the consummate procrastinator. Now, though, I have to start early so that I have a couple of days to figure out if I have forgotten anything S. needs.

L. is already bemoaning our absence. He is talking about how much he will miss S. I keep asking him, "What about me? Aren't you going to miss me?" He has yet to include me as someone he will miss. I think he is feeling just a little resentful that I am leaving him for two weeks. If that weren't bad enough, I am also taking his son with me, and I'm leaving the dog behind. She is going to drive him crazy. She freaks out when I go to the store. She will be unbearable with me being gone for two weeks.

L. keeps telling me worse and worse things that will happen to him while I'm gone. First, he told me that he wouldn't take care of himself. Then he said he wouldn't remember to feed himself, then that he would wear the same shirt for the whole two weeks. I'm afraid when I get back, L. will have devolved into a primate.



5 comments:

Sir CrankyPants said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sir CrankyPants said...

Harumph!

Ollie Oxenfree said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Sir CrankyPants said...

Ah, well, Sir CrankyPants is making a list for the upcoming trip too. Optional: Cleaning of any kind (including his Knightly Self), Eating, Sleeping, Sunlight, Clothes (including the Holy Crankypants) . . .
Required: Any form of liquid nourishment containing alcohol.

Marie B. said...

Hannah! Have so much fun! Right now is a good time to fly with your baby. Wait until they are toddlers, then traveling gets tricky. I went on a ton of trips with Belen during the first 2 years. I started when she was 2 months and never stopped. We went all over the place, and if we like somewhere, like KY then we would go again. Belen has been on about 30 plane rides. The best thing to do is breast feed. I just got home last night from a trip and I was thinking, I wish I was still breast feeding her. Have fun in Utah. Watch out for all those crazy mormons!